Thursday, October 20, 2011

Make Mine a Double

"I found my first real home during my second year in New York, at a bar in the East Village. Maybe it was the kind of bar you've loved, if you've loved a bar." - Kristen Dombek

Gina Barreca once happened into the book store where I worked. She was truly pleasant and gracious enough to sign all of our copies of her books, which left me with good feelings towards her. So when I read about a new collection of pieces about women and drinking - Make Mine a Double: Why Women Like Us Like to Drink (Or Not) - I was happy to discover that she was the force behind it.



I immediately added it to the large mix of books I'm reading at the moment. It's a delight. I'm only about a third of the way through, and already the essays have hit on drinking and feminism, religion, gender, race, class, and families. I laughed aloud several times reading Sarah Deming's "Against Mixology." Perhaps I'll post about it again when I finish them all, but I'd recommend it on the strength of the first several alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment