Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Recommended: The Lives of Animals and The Sexual Politics of Meat

Several books I've read lately are worth recommending. Here are two.

J. M. Coetzee, The Lives of Animals:



I enjoyed the commentary at the end as much as the fiction itself.

Carol J. Adams, The Sexual Politics of Meat:



I was a little wary of this one for a number of reasons, and this 20th anniversary edition had too many introductory sections, but most of my fears turned out to be unfounded. It seems several of her other books are about religious silliness, so it’s unlikely I’ll be reading them any time soon, but this one is worthwhile. I especially appreciated the discussion of the absent referent and criticisms of both the feminist and the animal rights movements for their lack of attention to intersectionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment