Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Women in Afghanistan, some revolutionary

I remember receiving a string of solidarity requests from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA) on anarchist lists back in 1999 or 2000. They described conditions for women there, and I printed them out and would read them to people in horror, shocked that there appeared to be so little knowledge of or interest in the situation here in the US.

This video segment was recently sent me by Brave New Films:



There's still little concern with the real struggles of women in Afghanistan; worse, they've continued to be cynically used for imperialist aims while conditions deteriorate. But they fight on. Please pass on word about the film and support the Afghan Women's Mission if you can.

3 comments:

  1. "This video segment was recently sent me by Brave New Films"

    I tried to sign up for those videos a while back, but all I got was their "Stop Starbucks" campaign...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I've been getting emails from them pretty regularly for a while now. Oddly, too, I don't remember ever receiving anything about the Starbucks campaign (though it's more likely I did but didn't pay as much attention to it as I have to the ones about other issues).

    (PS: Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, windy.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try signing up again, then. Congrats on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete