Monday, November 1, 2010

Interlude - From The Book of Embraces

Another:

***

CELEBRATION OF SILENCE/2

The singer Braulio López, half of the duo Los Olimareños, arrived in Barcelona as an exile. One of his hands was broken.

Braulio had been a prisoner in the Villa Dovoto jail for possessing three books: a biography of José Artigas, some poems by Antonio Machado, and Saint-Exupéry’s The Little Prince. When they were about to release him, a jailer had come into his cell and asked: “You the guitar player?” And then he stepped on Braulio’s left hand with his boot.

I suggested that I interview him. The story might interest the magazine Triunfo. But Braulio scratched his head, thought for a moment, then said:

“No.”

And he explained to me:

“My hand will heal, sooner or later. Then I’ll be playing and singing again. See? I don’t want to doubt the applause.”


***

No comments:

Post a Comment